The Lower Shore Workforce Alliance (LSWA) provides policy and oversight for Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA). WIOA went into effect on July 1, 2015 and was designed to help connect both businesses and job seekers through education, the workforce and economic development. Under WIOA, Lower Shore Workforce Alliance provides funding for a variety training and supportive services. LSWA strives to offer services that meet each individual’s specific needs. Such services include skills and career assessments, occupational skills training, career counseling and referral services, which allow participants to become economically self-sufficient.
What training courses are offered under WIOA:
To view a complete list of the training courses offered please visit the Maryland Eligible Training Provider List (https://www.dllr.state.md.us/employment/train/) and click on “I want to search for WIOA training”. Ask about anything that is not listed; LSWA is also a great source for information as well as referrals.
Who is eligible for the WIOA Adult/Dislocated Worker Program:
- Individuals 18 years of age or older who have a HS diploma or GED
- Residents of Wicomico, Somerset and Worcester Counties
- Citizens of the U.S. or authorized to work in the U.S.
- Males born after 1960 that are 18 years of age or older must be registered for selective service. To verify your Selective Service registration please visit https://www.sss.gov/verify/ .
- Individuals who have been or will be terminated or laid off, from employment regardless of unemployment compensation status
- Individuals unlikely to return to a previous occupation or industry. This includes those who were self-employed, but are unemployed as a result of general economic conditions
- Displaced homemakers as well as spouses of a member of the Armed Forces on active duty who has experience a loss of employment
How to apply for a WIOA training scholarship:
Looking to gain the skills needed to start a new career or advance in your current career? Speak with an Intake Coordinator today to see how Lower Shore Workforce Alliance can help you get on the right path to achieving your career goals!
Visit the American Job Center located at 31901 Tri-County Way Salisbury, MD 21804
Hours of Operation: Monday-Friday 8:00AM-4:30PM